Taxlete Today

  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter

Important tax news and information collected from the Internal Revenue Service and other trusted sources, disseminated in a manner to address the needs of the average taxpayer.

#StayInformed  #BeEmpowered  #Thrive

As a reminder, Taxlete and are not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with any government entity. External links are provided solely for convenience and informational purposes only. Always check the official government source for the latest information and updates.

Some taxpayers may be required to make estimated tax payments periodically to the IRS

Taxpayers are generally required to pay taxes on their income as its received or earned. For most employees, these taxes are paid automatically through what is known as tax withholding---the process by which an employer withholds a prefixed amount from an employee's wages to cover the employee's payroll tax obligations (e.g., income tax, social security tax, and Medicare tax). However, if you are self-employed or an independent contractor, then you will generally need to make estimated tax payments to the IRS because you are not subject to employee tax withholding. Sole proprietors, partners, and S corporation shareholders may also need to make estimated tax payments.

Check Tax Withholding Rate Each Year

Employees subject to tax withholding determine how much they want withheld from their wages by completing IRS Form W-4. Most employees complete the Form W-4 when they start a new job, but many are unaware that they have the option to change or revise the form at any time. It is important to regularly check your tax withholding to ensure the proper amounts are being withheld from your wages; this should be done at least once a year, preferably in January. If your employer is not withholding enough taxes from your wages, you may be required to make estimated tax payments to the IRS (and you may also be in for a surprise tax bill during tax season).

Use the IRS's Tax Withholding Estimator tool to check whether your employer is withholding the proper amount of taxes from your wages. If you would like for your employer to withhold more or less in taxes, complete a new IRS Form W-4 and give it to your employer.

Who is Required to make Estimated Tax Payments?

Taxpayers generally must make estimated tax payments throughout the year if they expect to owe $1,000 or more in taxes when they file their next tax return. Corporations generally must make these payments throughout the year if they expect to owe $500 or more on their next tax return.

Estimated Tax Payment Schedule

Estimated tax payments are due at four different periods throughout the year:

  • April 15th (for the period January 1st - March 31st);

  • July 15th (for the period April 1st - May 31st);

  • October 15th (for the period June 1st - August 31st); and

  • January 15th (for the period September 1st - December 31st).

Note, If you do not pay enough tax by the due date of each payment period, you may be charged a penalty even if you are due a refund when you file your income tax return.

How to Make Payments

Taxpayers may make estimated tax payments using any of the following options:

  1. Direct Pay using a bank account;

  2. Pay by credit or debit card;

  3. Submit payment through the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System;

  4. Mail a check or money order to the IRS; or

  5. Pay cash at a retail partner.

For more information, see the following IRS resources:

IRS Form 1040-ES (Estimated Tax for Individuals);

IRS Form 1120-W (Estimated Tax for Corporation); and

IRS Publication 505 (Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax).

We Want to Hear from You!


We greatly value all forms of feedback, please take a moment to share your thoughts and opinions about

  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter

© 2020 Taxly, LLC. All rights reserved. Taxlete and are not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with any government agency. The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or will be formed by use of the site. Self-help services may not be permitted in all states. External links are provided solely for convenience and informational purposes only. Taxlete bears no responsibility for the accuracy, legality or content of the external site or for that of subsequent links. Contact the external site for answers to questions regarding its content.