The People's Tax Blog

Important tax news and information selectively collected from the Internal Revenue Service to address the needs of the average person.

#StayInformed  #BeEmpowered  #Thrive

As a reminder, is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with any government entity. External links are provided solely for convenience and informational purposes only. Always check the official government source for the latest information and updates.

Tax Checklist for Newlyweds

Many aspects of life may be affected (and usually are affected) after two people get married. You can bet on taxes being on that list. Here are a few helpful tips to keep in mind after saying "I do."

Name Changes

  • When an individual's name changes due to marriage, the change should be reported immediately to the Social Security Administration (SSA). This is because the name reported on a person’s tax return must match exactly with the name on file with the SSA. If the name does not match, there could be a delay in any tax refund issued. To update your information, file Form SS-5 (Application for a Social Security Card) with the SSA.

Change in Address

  • If you move or change addresses after the marriage, the IRS and U.S. Postal Service need to know. You can fill out IRS Form 8822 (Change of Address) to inform the IRS of the address change. To notify the U.S. Postal Service, go to or your local post office to place a request to have your mail forwarded to your new address.

 Review Tax Withholding

  • After getting married, couples should use the IRS Withholding Estimator to determine whether any adjustments should be made to their Form W-4 withholding status (most individuals will likely need to make some adjustments). Individuals can adjust their tax withholding at any time during the year by completing IRS Form W-4 (Employee’s Withholding Allowance) and submitting the form to their employer.

Consider Filing status

  • Even if married, individuals can choose to file their federal income taxes jointly or separately each year. Filing jointly is usually more beneficial, but the best practice is to calculate the total taxes owed under both filing options to determine which results in the lowest overall tax liability. Note also that even if you wait until December 31st to get married, the law considers you married for the entire year for tax purposes.

Check out the following resources for additional information:

Want to learn more about your tax rights and responsibilities? Visit for other beneficial resources and information.

#KnowledgeIsPower #TaxleteStrong #MyTaxRights

Your Voice Matters!


We greatly value all forms of feedback so please take a moment to share your thoughts and opinions about

  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter

© 2021 Taxly, LLC. All rights reserved. is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with any government agency. The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or will be formed by use of the site. Self-help services may not be permitted in all states. External links are provided solely for convenience and informational purposes only. Taxly bears no responsibility for the accuracy, legality or content of the external site or for that of subsequent links. Contact the external site for answers to questions regarding its content.