Tax News Today

  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter

Important tax news and information collected from the Internal Revenue Service and other trusted sources, disseminated in a manner to address the needs of the average taxpayer.

#StayInformed  #BeEmpowered  #Thrive

As a reminder, is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with any government entity. External links are provided solely for convenience and informational purposes only. Always check the official government source for the latest information and updates.

How to report non-employee compensation and backup withholding

There is a new IRS Form 1099-NEC (Non-employee Compensation) for taxpayers to report non-employee compensation paid or received in the course of their trade or business. Starting in tax year 2020, taxpayers must complete this form to report any payment of $600 or more made to a payee in the course of their business. Note, though, there is no requirement to report personal payments; the requirement covers only payments made in the course of your trade or business.

Typically, payers must file Form 1099-NEC by January 31st (note that for 2020 tax returns, the due date is February 1, 2021). There is no automatic 30-day extension to file a Form 1099-NEC, but an extension may be available under certain hardship conditions.

Non-employee compensation may be subject to backup withholding (see below) if either: (a) a payee has not provided a taxpayer identification number (TIN) to the payer; or (b) the IRS notifies the payer that the TIN provided was incorrect.

A Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) can be one of the following numbers:

  • Social Security;

  • Employer identification;

  • Individual taxpayer identification; or

  • Adoption taxpayer identification.

What is Backup Withholding (BWH)?

If you are a taxpayer receiving certain types of income payments, the IRS requires the person or business paying these payments to report them on an information return (e.g., Forms 1099 or W-2G). The person or business paying you does not generally withhold taxes from these types of payments because it is assumed that you will report and pay taxes on this income when you file your federal income tax return. But there are situations when the payer is required to withhold a certain percentage (currently 24%) of the income to ensure the IRS receives the tax due on this income. This is known as Backup Withholding.

For more information, see the following resources:

Want to learn more about your tax rights and responsibilities? Visit for other beneficial resources and information.

#KnowledgeIsPower #TaxleteStrong #MyTaxRights

Your Voice Matters!


We greatly value all forms of feedback so please take a moment to share your thoughts and opinions about

  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter

© 2021 Taxly, LLC. All rights reserved. is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with any government agency. The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or will be formed by use of the site. Self-help services may not be permitted in all states. External links are provided solely for convenience and informational purposes only. Taxly bears no responsibility for the accuracy, legality or content of the external site or for that of subsequent links. Contact the external site for answers to questions regarding its content.